How does it work?
For superficial leg veins, a 20% saline solution is injected into the veins. This inflames the lining of the injected vein, which if it is not repaired by the body will fibrose and disappear. For deeper and larger vessels, aethoxysklerol solution is injected in order to constrict and close the vein.
What results can I expect?
Most vessels close with the first treatment but often a second and sometimes a third treatment is required. Even then, sclerotherapy does not prevent the development of new vessels as this is usually genetic.
After the treatment, it is best to keep moving and not to sit for more than 30minutes at a time for the rest of that day.
For superficial vein treatment, compression stockings or pantyhose need to be worn for 1-3 days.
For deeper vessels treated with aethoxysklerol, compression needs to be worn strictly for 72 hours and then as much as possible for 2weeks.
What are the risks?
Expect some redness, swelling and spot bruising for about a week. Rarely, there can be pigmentation (brown marks which slowly fade away) or a flare (a network of tiny veins bypassing the closed larger one which also usually fades but occasionally needs to be injected). DVT, ulcer, or a scar is exceedingly rare. Occasionally, some blood can get trapped which may require pricking and expressing after a few days.
DVT is a potentially serious complication. As such we would not perform this treatment if another DVT risk is present such as pregnancy, recent surgery, past or family history of clotting or thrombotic condition, a recent long haul flight or long drive within 2 weeks.
- Fillers And Volume Enhancement
- Muscle Relaxant Wrinkle Treatment
- Photorejuvenation with Laser treatment for Sun damage and Antiageing
- Laser tattoo removal
- Leg Vein Treatment (Sclerotherapy)
- Pigmentation, Freckles, Brown Marks
- Laser Treatment For Broken Capillary, Angioma & Red Birth Marks
- Redness, Flushing & Rosacea
- Hyperhidrosis (Excessive Sweating) Treatments
- Headache Treatment With Muscle Relaxant Injections
- Acne & Acne Scarring
- Skin Cancer Checks & Treatments